"Hurricane Diana" Coming Through Britain and Across the Atlantic
Still Calm, But Definitely Before the Perfect Storm...

Last night, I finally (however delayed for the good reasons) returned from my recent UK trip.

What was different this time was that not only did I bring my own artist for recordings and what not, but also attempted to work with the local artists or artists to be, via two Vocal Interactive Workshops and some voice repair private sessions.

I've been doing all of this starting from Russia in 1975-76 and for the last 32 years, in Canada to date. Was I ever shocked when I embarked on what I thought was very familiar to me, with the British audience?

Within the first five minutes I understood that I appeared to them as a complete "hurricane" on a bright sunny day (to put it mildly). They were sitting still and almost shockingly staring at me, however, with surprise and fascination in their eyes.

I meanwhile, did not feel at ease at all. I felt like Maria from Sound of Music, but not coming out of the convent to meet a future husband, but rather coming in...? In my opinion, this workshop could pass for the Sound of Music II... London style!

I felt like Mother Teresa and seemed to be, just was missing the cross and a prayer.

I actually had a nagging desire to say a prayer, before, during and after the workshop.

Here in Canada, I've been pretty free with respect of my references, which at times have funny sexual and other colloquial content. I had to watch every word I was saying, as I didn't feel the opening for the British audience to receive me in the right context.

In Canada, I also worked a lot with churches and their performers, the Christian artists and female Barbershop choirs and quartets.

I was aware that they were not exactly the rock singers, but I also never felt as Whoopi Goldberg's character from the Sister's Act movie.

I guess we're talking about cultural differences, and to their credit I have to say that they were by far more academically sound than Canadians or Americans have ever been.

But their artistic demeanour was hardly present, even with a couple of professional singers in the group. They looked extremely modest and not open to anything outrageous at all.

It definitely was very foreign to me.

I felt like I was participating in "Nuns-R-Us" productions (lol).

I was extremely tired by restricting myself for four hours of my natural behaviour. In the morning after, I had a hysterical laughter reviewing my previous day of teaching.

On the second day, I had a much more open minded and souled audience. So, the content of my workshop was the same, but not as restricted, which was by far more pleasurable and enjoyable by me and, as it appeared to be, by the participants.

That leaves me hope that I could still find the artists across of the Atlantic Ocean, who would need my services and will appreciate my freedom of word and unique instructions.

I still intend to take Great Britain by storm!

It is still somewhat calm in the British neck of the woods, but evidently, they need a good "hurricane" to "wake up" and so to speak "smell the coffee" and thus, be more open for something unique, revolutionary and yes, outrageous!

Afterall, it will be for their own good, as they definitely need the... PERFECT STORM.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Case Study of our recent International Client, (a Businessman from Paris, France) with the Diagnosis of Sulcus Vocalis and His Successful Course and Treatment

The True Success Story of Aubrie Morris (from Pittsburgh, PN, USA) Conquering Muscle Tension Dysphonia Disorder Under Our Alternative Care... Non-Surgically!

The Inspirational Journey of Aubrie Morris (Up-and-Coming Singer/Songwriter of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania)